Explore aquatic sports on the river Rur.
Nature lovers and sports enthusiasts can explore the stunning landscape of the well-developed hiking trails, water sports on the Rur river and the nearby reservoir or discover the mighty rock towers of the Rureifel as climbing area.
Leisure facilities in the youth hostel
- Internet terminal
- Mini pitch with artificial turf (20 m x 40 m)
- Table tennis
- Table football
- Covered barbecue site
- Street basketball baskets
Leisure facilities in the area
With its idyllic lakes, mighty cliffs and numerous forest areas, the Rureifel is a true paradise for nature lovers and sports enthusiasts. Thanks to its perfect location, Nideggen Youth Hostel is the ideal starting point for hiking and cycling tours along the well-developed paths, on which one can enjoy the stunning scenery to the fullest. Climbing enthusiasts can take advantage of the huge sandstone rocks as a climbing area. Water sports in the middle of the Rureifel region? That's also possible: the Rur river and nearby reservoirs are ideal for canoeing through beautiful countryside.
Canoeing, rock climbing and other outdoor adventures are, by the way, at the centre of the experiential and educational school trip programmes in the forest. The common challenges foster teamwork, teach responsibility and broach the issue of risk-taking.
But the youth hostel offers many exciting programs with various outdoor activities such as climbing, canoeing and horseback riding - not only for school groups, but also for children and teenagers, families and leisure groups.
You can also explore the surroundings of the youth hostel: a stroll through the small Eifel town of Nideggen with its narrow streets, medieval-looking houses and the castle walls is a "live" history lesson and provides insight into the historical significance of the region.
- Worth knowing: Nationalpark-Tor Nideggen with exhibition "Schatzkammer Natur" ("Nature's Treasure Trove") (right next door)
- On the road: Landschaftsentdeckungspfad ("Landscape Discovery Trail" (right next door)
- Town landmark: Nideggen Castle with Castle Museum (1.5 km)
- Original sightseeing tours
- Wildlife park in the village of Schmidt
- Open-air swimming pool in the district of Abenden
- Exhibition Rur & Fels (rocks) in the Biological Station
- Nationalpark-Tor with exhibition on the National Park (Heimbach)
- Nature and environment: Water Information Centre Eifel, Heimbach (11 km)
- Pedal boat rentals (Heimbach)
- Heated outdoor pool (Heimbach)
- Hands-on technology: Art Nouveau power station in Heimbach (11 km)
- Giant dam: Rurtalsperre (reservoir) Heimbach (11 km)
Leisure facilities in the region
In addition to outdoor action and history, Nideggen and its surrounding area have many other leisure activities to over visitors: discover the nearby National Park Eifel together with a real Ranger; visit the open air museum in Kommern or go on a long shopping and sightseeing trip to Aachen or Cologne. Do you want to cross borders? The neighbouring country of Belgium is a popular destination for day trips.
- Sheer action: Montemare adventure pool Kreuzau (9 miles)
- Bubenheimer Playland with a corn maze in Bubenheim
- Paper Museum in Düren
- Forest, water, wilderness: tours of the Nationapark guided by a Ranger
- Under the open sky: Freilichtmuseum (Open-Air Museum) Kommern (20 m)