Explore the castle Monschau.
Pure Middle Ages: courtyards on different levels, towers, underground vaults and the battlements of Monschau Castle invite you to explore and offer many opportunities for fun and games inside the hostel. Here, children can still feel like real lords and damsels! In addition, the hostel offers many opportunities for a sporting, musical, culinary or just social get-together. It doesn't matter whether you're interested in the museums and attractions of the nearby area or whether you prefer to experience spectacular natural landscapes - Monschau offers every guest completely individual leisure options.
Leisure facilities in the youth hostel
Monschau Castle invites you to explore and discover. Children can pretend they are real lords and damsels and experience the Middle Ages. At the weekend, a real medieval professional will also accompany families and leisure groups and help them to uncover myths and legends relating to Monschau Castle. Families and school groups can immerse themselves not only in the castle's rich past - they will also find numerous museums, monuments and natural opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking, cycling or climbing nearby.
- Table tennis
- Collection of games
Leisure facilities in the area
Visitors can experience historical crafts on a trip to Monschau - many of the sights, such as the glass blowing workshop or the Museum Rotes Haus, are within easy walking distance. Follow in the footsteps of the cloth makers and glassblowers or experience culinary and musical highlights.
- Historical centre of Monschau (3 minute walk, 300 m)
- Museum "Rotes Haus" ("Red House") (10 minute walk, 500 m)
- Historic mustard mill (20 minute walk, 1.5 km)
- Summer toboggan run in Rohren (90 minutes on foot, 7 km)
- Town of Mützenich in the Hohes Venn (15 minutes by public transport)
- Natural history museum "Haus Ternell" in Belgium (20 minutes by bus)
- Wildfreigehege Hellenthal (game reserve) (30 minutes by bus, 23 km)
- Rursee lake (20 minutes by bus, 20 km)
Leisure facilities in the region
Nature lovers will get their money's worth here: one of the last high moors, the German-Belgian Nature Park "Hohes Venn", extends on one side of Monschau. The impressions you get of the landscape here are like no other: the nature park has 15 lakes and reservoirs and a unique flora and fauna. On the other side, there is the Eifel National Park - a protected area of forest and water, which you can explore on foot or by bike, and in the company of an experienced ranger if you wish. Day trips to the imperial city of Aachen (just 30 km away) or to the neighbouring country of Belgium are possible.
- Aachen (65 km by public transport, 40 km)
- Hohes Venn Belgium (45 minutes by bus)
- Freilichtmuseum Kommern (open-air museum) (45 minutes by bus, 50 km)
- "Grube Wohlfahrt" visitor mine (45 minutes by bus, 36 km)
- Remouchamps caves (Belgium)
- Botrange Nature Centre (Belgium)