Discover the huge nature reserve at the castle Blankenheim.
Large outside grounds, cosy common rooms and exciting programmes - at Burg Blankenheim Youth Hostel, there's plenty of space and ideas for a varied holiday. But the extensive forests and large nature reserve area around the hostel also offer attractive opportunities for active leisure activities.
Leisure facilities in the youth hostel
Discover, run around and have adventures: the old castle of Blankenheim, with its spaciousness, mediaeval atmosphere and varied outdoor area is an exciting environment - especially for children. Besides the extensive leisure facilities at the hostel, there are the programme offerings and class trips, which take children back to the world of knights, kings and wizards in a playful way.
- Volleyball net
- Table tennis tables
- Football field
- Barbecue hut
- Barbecue site
Leisure facilities in the area
There's a lot to discover outside the castle walls, too. The historical centre of Blankenheim, with its town gates, old, narrow streets and half-timbered houses, is ideal for walking and admiring the sights. In the vaulted cellar of an old half-timbered house, you can visit source of the Ahr. The Tiergartentunnel is particularly fascinating: the 150 m long pipeline supplied water to the castle in the Middle Ages and was only discovered in 1997 and excavated. The nearby open-air swimming pool with diving tower promises lots of fun and games. In bad weather, the Eifel Museum Blankenheim and the Eifel Museum Gildehaus invite visitors to learn about the history and nature of the northern Eifel region.
- Eifel Museum Blankenheim (5 minutes walk)
- Open-air pool with diving tower (5 minutes walk)
- Eifel Museum Gildehaus (5 minutes walk)
- Boating on the pond (5 minutes walk)
- Mini golf (5 minutes walk)
- Tiergartentunnel (5 minutes walk)
Leisure facilities in the region
Whether you're interested in sports, nature or wild animals, the hostel's location in the Eifel National Park makes a stay in Blankenheim a varied experience. Discover the unspoilt landscape of the Eifel on foot or by bicycle or meet lynx, badgers, and eagles in the Hellenthal game reserve. Need a little more action? At the Nürburgring you can follow in the footsteps of Michael Schumacher and company, and everything in the Phantasialand amusement park also revolves around speed and adventure. If you fancy a bit of sightseeing and shopping, you can do that, too: Cologne, Bonn, Koblenz and Trier are easily reached by car.
- Freilingen: bathing lake (9 km)
- Bad Münstereifel: fun pool (18 km)
- Hellenthal: deer park with birds of prey (25 km)
- Kommern: summer toboggan run, open-air museum, game reserve with large playground (30 km)
- Eifel National Park: walking and touring exhibitions (35 km)
- Brühl: Phantasialand amusement park (48 km)
- Nürburg: Nürburgring (33 km)
- Daun: Dauner Maare (shallow crater lakes) (45 km)
- Cologne, Bonn, Koblenz, Trier: Rhein-Mosel-Tour
- Luxembourg: Müllertal (110 km)
- Belgium: La Rouche-en-Ardenne (123 km)